Wednesday, August 26, 2009

How Walking Can Help Increase Your Creativity

Walking can help unleash your creativity, help you solve problems and sort through your thoughts. Besides the many health benefits of walking, can be a relaxing format to study and dissect ones thoughts. Through many personal experiences of my own this has assisted me greatly. Just today I was out for stroll struggling to think of a subject to write about, and it suddenly hit me, as many things has done during my walks around my apartment complex.

How is this so? I can only speak for myself that it has to do with disconnecting with ones current problems, we can sometimes get so bogged down by many things such as a stress and daily life issues that may occur. Walking acts as a anecdote in this sense, taking us out of our offices, classrooms and allows our heads to breathe. A walk gets us out of our standard places, as we are interacting with the world new images, thoughts and ideas can pop into our heads, as long as we let it come.

For a writer or critical thinker this can get our creativity juices flowing once again, and can elevate ourselves to a different level of thought, new ideas and thoughts come to me in my walks sometimes more than others, but I can attribute many views and actions as a result of walking.

Walking can also increase one's motivation, I have always felt invigorated after a short walk makes me want to write, and significantly increases my mood and my outlook for the day.

Walking among other things, can help control your blood pressure, maintain weight and lowers your risk of stroke.

So much can be gained for the mind body and spirit even if you are not much of a fitness person, walking is free, simple, and can open your mind so why not give it a try? Theirs even more benefits of walking listed here.

Walking isn't the end all solution, but can be a great assistance to ourselves when we run out of ideas, writing prompts and free writing are also great alternatives.