Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Feeling

I just finished the excellent novel by Khaled Hosseini: A Thousand Splendid Suns and after completion a rush of great joy and happiness came over, almost moving me to tears.

Not every book can do that to me, it has been quite awhile since this phenomenon occurred. And it is the best feeling ever when you read a book and you become filled with...emotion for a lack of a better term.

Of course this depends on the type of book, I would not expect this feeling to come from say, American Psycho.

It strikes me as amazing in this book; where 95% is sad and depressing but that spread out 5% makes it all worthwhile. And you begin to appreciate the small victories in the book, leaving you with a sense of happiness. Now how is that to be? With so much wrong in it the little things that are right make us call it a happy ending.

I Apologize if this seems vague if you have not read it. But you must it is an amazing story and my favorite book of the year. So go buy it, read it. And report back so we can have a discussion on this.

In the meanwhile lets ponder this. What book have given you this euphoria that I have described? I would love to hear about it in the comments section or via email.

No comments:

Post a Comment